- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds ground turkey, white and dark combined
- 2 cups coarsely chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 large sweet red pepper, cored, deveined and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 jalapeno pepper, cored, deveined and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped, or 1 tablespoon, dried
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 cups canned diced tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth, fresh or canned
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 15-ounce cans of red kidney beans, drained
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sour cream (optional)
- Sliced lime for garnish (optional)
- Heat the oil over high heat in a large heavy pot and add the turkey meat. Cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes, chopping down and stirring with the side of a heavy kitchen spoon to break up any lumps.
- Add the onions, garlic, sweet pepper, celery, jalapeno pepper, oregano, bay leaves, chili powder and cumin. Stir to blend well. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, chicken broth, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
- Add the drained beans and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes longer. Serve in bowls with cheddar cheese, and sour cream and lime wedges, if desired.
To learn more about our executive chefs and Henry Ford Village’s passion for healthy living, call us today at 877-660-1807.