Physical activity is vital to maintain a good quality of life. Exercise helps strengthen muscles and improve the
cardiovascular and respiratory systems. Regular activity also helps increase your stability, which is important
to avoid falls that often lead to broken bones. Exercise will even help you heal faster and prevent some chronic
diseases, like diabetes or osteoporosis.
Here are a few tips to keep your mind and body fit during the cold winter months:
- Join a gym: Obtaining a gym membership is a great idea not only because you will have access to all kinds of equipment, but also for the social aspect. Join a local gym or fitness center where you can target and strengthen all parts of your body.
- Take classes: There are plenty of fitness classes available for all ages and skill levels at local gyms, senior centers and community centers. Find them online or in your local newsletters to see which one is the best fit for you.
- Workout at home: Simply getting up throughout the day and walking around the house can get your blood flowing and break up those long periods of time when you aren’t as active during the winter. Walk around your home throughout every room, or if you live in an apartment building, walk up and down the hallways a few times. There are also thousands of fitness DVDs available for all ages and every type of exercise that you can work out to at your leisure. You can spend one day doing some light aerobics and the next day stretching and doing yoga, all from the comfort of your living room!
- Swimming: Many gyms or your local YMCAs have indoor pools available to the public. Swimming is a fantastic, low impact workout, especially for people with achy joints. The best part is that you don’t need to wait for a hot, sunny day to enjoy an indoor pool!
- Try some video games: There are even some video game systems like the Wii Fit or PlayStation Move that offers another way to get active in your own home. Games like bowling and tennis are sure to help you start moving, and these games are a great way to get others involved, too.
Here at Henry Ford Village, we provide the perfect environment for a “weatherproof lifestyle.” There are dozens of available clubs, activities and classes focused on fitness because we know how important it is to stay active all year long. Within the gated 35-acre campus, outdoor walking trails are always cleared and the covered indoor walkways are always bright and warm. The on-site Fitness Center features a variety of modern equipment and knowledgeable instructors. The full-sized indoor pool is open every day for resident use and classes like water aerobics. Residents at Henry Ford Village live a maintenance-free lifestyle and are free to focus on what’s really important.
To learn more about how Henry Ford Village encourages a healthy, active lifestyle, call us today at 877-669-0728.