- 2 large zucchini
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1½ teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 small green pepper, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup tomato paste
- 1 (16 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
- Hot water, as needed
- 1 egg
- 1 (15 oz.) container low-fat ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 (16 oz.) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed & drained
- 1 lb. fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 8 oz. mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 8 oz. Parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease a deep 9×13 inch baking pan.
- Slice zucchini lengthwise into very thin slices. Sprinkle slices lightly with salt; set aside to drain in a colander.
- To prepare the meat sauce, cook and stir ground beef and black pepper in a large skillet over medium-high heat for 5 minutes. Add in green pepper and onion; cook and stir until meat is no longer pink. Stir in tomato paste, tomato sauce, wine, basil, and oregano, adding a small amount of hot water if sauce is too thick. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer sauce for about 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Meanwhile, stir egg, ricotta, and parsley together in a bowl until well combined.
- To assemble lasagna, spread 1/2 of the meat sauce into the bottom of prepared pan. Then, layer 1/2 the zucchini slices, 1/2 the ricotta mixture, all of the spinach, followed by all of the mushrooms, then 1/2 the mozzarella cheese. Repeat by layering the remaining meat sauce, zucchini slices, ricotta mixture, and mozzarella. Spread Parmesan cheese evenly over the top; cover with foil.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil; raise oven temperature to 350°F (175°C) and bake an additional 15 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Yield: 8 servings; Prep Time: 30 minutes; Cook Time: 1 Hour; Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Learn more about the lifestyle and dining options that residents at Henry Ford Village enjoy every day.