Position Overview: The Nurse Manager has 24/7 responsibility for clinical care coordination for residents. The successful candidate will be assisting the Director of Nursing with hiring, scheduling, payroll management and customer service. The Nurse Manager will have total unit level responsibility. This position is a key role in establishing “a new way to work” high performance work teams, autonomous, multi-skilled teams with total process ownership and commitment to quality improvement. As a team leader, the successful candidate will create and maintain a strong, cross-functional, accountable team by encouraging communication, dedication to customer service and commitment to quality improvement.
This position comes with significant challenges, responsibilities and expectations. It also offers opportunities to gain management, operations and leadership experience. The successful candidate will be expected to develop and exhibit competencies of a Director of Nursing.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities: include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Coordination, implementation and review of clinical care for residents on unit.
- Ownership for documentation process including MDS, care plans, audits, incident reports and charting.
- Review and feedback to nurses and CNAs relating to clinical performance.
- Leadership of interdisciplinary quality improvement circles.
- Ownership of clinical quality areas including wound care, infection control, falls risk reduction, pain management, weight loss, dehydration, etc.
- Participation and input into hiring and performance review processes.
- Monthly review and communication of key clinical metrics.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The successful candidate will have demonstrated leadership skills and desire to take full accountability for a unit. S/he will be enthusiastic and passionate about work, life and people. The candidate will be willing to put in the time both in terms of working and learning. The candidate will be required to work non-traditional hours. Personal and professional learning will be a critical part of this position. The candidate should have demonstrated learning behaviors and desire to continue. The position will play a key role in defining the dynamics in a team. The successful candidate should be a strong team player and be skilled at developing teams.
Education and/or Experience: BSN or Masters in Nursing preferred; however, LPNs with significant clinical and management experience (5-10 years+) will be considered. Computer skills required including experience with Microsoft Office, the internet and web applications.
Expertise in wound care, quality improvement, MDS, falls, hydration, infection control, care planning, etc…a plus.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Direct supervisory responsibilities for the Administrative Coordinator on the floor. Clinical review and management of nurses and aides working on unit.
Language Skills: Strong written and verbal communication skills required.
License, Certificates, Registration: The candidate must have a current nursing certification for Michigan. This includes an RN or LPN license.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position requires being able to physically complete the following roles:
- Administrative Coordinator – including administrative duties.
- Nursing – including passing medications, charting, completing treatments and working as a nurse.
- Housekeeping – including discarding trash, mopping and sweeping spills.
- Activities – including leading activities for residents.
- CNA – including giving showers and changing linen.
- Dining Services – including assisting residents with meal time.
- OSHA OCCUPATIONAL EXPOSURE CATEGORY: After careful analysis, it has been determined that this position falls into OSHA Occupational Exposure Category A and requires the following protective equipment be worn by anyone filling this position.
GLOVES, GOWNS, MASKS, AND/OR GOGGLES: Training will be provided in how to properly and effectively use any necessary equipment, in addition to education regarding precautionary measures, epidemiology, modes of transmission and prevention of HIV/HBV.
Disclaimer: This job description is a general description of the duties and responsibilities of the position and is not to be interpreted as a complete list of the duties or requirements of this position.
|Job Category||Health Services|