Position Overview: Responsible for meal preparation, service and sales for all meals served in the assigned area. Provide individualized resident service as required to meet guest preferences, diets and/or regulatory requirements (as applicable), Responsible for assigned food preparation, baking details and catering setup, responsible for safety and sanitation in assigned area. Accept responsibility of the Cook’s function in their absence.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities: include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Provides friendly and efficient service to all residents and guests.
- Works safely at all times and identifies and corrects safety deficiencies.
- Shows flexibility and willingness to learn new areas of responsibility.
- Maintains dependability and punctuality without deficiencies.
- Is in appropriate uniform at all times.
- Ensures proper food handling, preparation and holding guidelines, takes temperatures at designated intervals, takes action to correct deficiencies. Maintains foods in sufficient quantities while minimizing over-production and waste. Assists in supplying all required products for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and any catering or other special events.
- Attends pre-meal briefing and demonstrates knowledge of menu, therapeutic diets, portioning and plating requirements (as appropriate).
- As required, checks Resident Diet Sheets and Therapeutic Menu Spreadsheets. Provides service following the appropriate method. Clears soiled dishes before serving next course. Completes ‘table at a time’ service system.
- Ensures the dining service areas are properly set-up and maintained throughout the day. Maintains the dining areas in a clean, orderly and sanitary condition during and between meals.
- Maintains food service line and dining service area sanitation and equipment cleaning schedule.
- Ensures proper handling of Café cash register or Point-of-Sale system, including resident charges, department charges, cash tendered, etc. (as assigned)
- Ensures resident requests or complaints are handled in a timely manner. Notifies a responsible Dining Services manager or Supervisor of a situation not in their ability to handle.
- Uses proper food handling techniques at all times and frequent hand washing occurs especially between handling soiled and clean dishes.
- Completes assigned dish and ware washing, using proper procedures.
- Communicates appropriately with all Dining Services staff, supervisor and listens effectively.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Ability to initiate and implement necessary plans to assure proper food service for breakfast, lunch, dinner, catering and special Café events. Ability to deal effectively with several projects, detail oriented, and maintains a friendly manner in dealing with residents and guests.
Education and/or Experience: One year experience in a kitchen environment required. High School Diploma or GED required, unless an active student.
Language Skills: Ability to communicate accurate information. The ability to communicate effectively and calmly to residents, visitors and to all levels of staff.