Position Overview: The Maintenance Mechanic I is responsible for the overall upkeep of residential apartments and public areas through responsive, accurate and efficient maintenance. This will be accomplished through the performance of simple tasks that required the application of general maintenance and repair techniques, materials, tools and equipment. The Maintenance Mechanic I serves as a member of the Maintenance and Engineering team that is responsible for the physical condition of the neighborhood assigned.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities: include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Performs routine and emergency repairs in residential apartments and public areas including correcting electrical malfunctions, repairing and replacing plumbing fixtures, pipes and fittings, repairing and replacing light bulbs and fixtures, repairing doors and locks, etc.
- Assists in providing initial response for malfunction of residential HVAC equipment. Performs resets and simple repairs as necessary. Respond to emergency calls for system and equipment failure.
- Respond to emergency calls for system and equipment failure.
- Completes all work orders in a timely manner while providing detailed information regarding the task(s) performed along with all prescribed/pertinent equipment information.
- Will assist other Maintenance and Engineering personnel, when necessary, in the completion of various projects or repairs.
- Assists in maintaining proper levels of material/supplies for neighborhood assigned to ensure the timely and efficient completion of necessary tasks.
- Will be expected to work a reasonable amount of scheduled and “on-call” overtime as necessary.
- Performs additional duties requested by the Supervisor, Facilities Maintenance/Maintenance and Engineering Manager in order to ensure the effective and efficient operation within the community.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Must possess a working knowledge of residential building maintenance to include, but not limited to, plumbing, electrical, flooring and appliances. Must have knowledge of HVAC. Must be able to effectively communicate with residents and staff. Must function under general supervision. Must be flexible and have integrity. Must possess the ability to effectively work with residents and staff.
Education and/or Experience: High School Diploma or GED required. Should possess 1-2 years of maintenance experience in a residential apartment complex, commercial building construction or maintenance.
License, Certificates, Registration: Must possess current EPA certification to handle refrigerants.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Ability to lift 50 pounds, over 50 pounds must use the aid of a hand truck or get assistance, and move light furniture. Ability to stand on one’s feet for a long period of time, bending and extensive walking. Ability to push/pull and climb a ladder to 6/8 feet.
This job description is a general description of the duties and responsibilities of the position and is not to be interpreted as a complete list of the duties or requirements of this position.