- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for the baking dish
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 11⁄2 pounds butternut squash (about half a medium squash)—peeled, seeded, and cut into 1⁄2-inch pieces
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3⁄4 pound soft French or Italian bread, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 7 1⁄2 cups)
- 1⁄2 pound Gruyère, grated (2 cups)
Step 1: Heat oven to 375° F. Oil a 2 1⁄2- to a 3-quart baking dish.
Step 2: Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring frequently, until beginning to soften, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the squash, season with 1⁄2 teaspoon salt and 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper, and cook tossing frequently, until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes more. Stir in the sage. Let cool for 10 minutes.
Step 3: In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, and 1⁄4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Add the bread, cheese, and squash mixture and toss to coat.
Step 4: Transfer to the prepared baking dish and bake until golden brown and set, 55 to 60 minutes.
To learn more about our executive chefs and Henry Ford Village’s passion for healthy living, call us today at 877-660-1807.