Grab some friends and get outside! A 15-minute walk each day can greatly improve your wellbeing in a number of ways – Here’s 15:
- Lift Your Mood – Almost magically, taking a walk in the morning, afternoon or evening can instantly lift your mood especially if you’re feeling down.
- Creativity Enhancer – Studies have shown that walking can improve both convergent and divergent thinking, the two types associated with enhanced creativity. Next time you’re stuck or stumped, take a stroll and see if you don’t have a “Eureka!” moment.
- Allergies-Be-Gone – If you suffer from mild allergies, exposing yourself to the outdoors with a brisk walk may be able to reduce your allergy symptoms such as sneezing, itching, congestion and runny nose.
- Boost Metabolism – Cardio exercise, including walking, can stop and even reverse damages from metabolic syndrome such as high blood pressure, high blood sugar and extra fat in the midsection. The more intense your cardio, the better your metabolism will be boosted.
- Live Longer – Research has shown that you can add up to seven years to your life by exercising daily, regardless of your current weight. We also know that daily exercise also increases your mood, which can also add time to your life.
- Save Money – Forget the gym membership – You can find walking paths pretty much anywhere. Save your money and spend it on an upgrade to your walking shoes!
- Look Younger – Daily walkers typically look younger than their actual age. Scientists have found that cardio exercise can preserve or even lengthen your telomeres, the part of our DNA that shorten as we age. Don’t forget your sunscreen!
- Better Sleep – A brisk walk can act as a natural sleep aid. Studies have shown that regular walkers enjoy longer and better quality sleep, allowing our bodies to get the rest it needs every day.
- Reduce Stress – Walking is one of the fastest and most effective ways to calm down and essentially reduce stress in life. Moving around clears cortisol – or the “stress hormone” – from your system and also helps stop the continuous worries from overwhelming your mind while you exercise.
- Boost Brainpower – Regular cardio exercise such as walking improves your overall brain functions including: memory, cognition, learning and reading. Walking can also help reduce the risk of cognitive diseases like Alzheimer’s and dementia.
- Reduce Chronic Pain – Many of us suffer from chronic pain and live with it every day. Research has shown that daily walking improved symptoms of chronic pain in both short and long-term scenarios.
- Strengthen Bones – People with stronger bones are able to avoid osteoporosis and the pain that comes with it. The best way to get strong, healthy bones is with weight-bearing exercise like running, dancing and walking. Daily strolls can help strengthen your bone density over time.
- Improve Eyes – Believe it or not, daily cardio exercise can improve your eyeball strength, allowing you to avoid problems like retinal degeneration and age-related vision lost.
- Socialization – Taking a solo walk can be great for clearing your mind or blowing off steam but walking can also be a perfect way to socialize with others away from electronics. Invite a friend, neighbor or family member to go for a walk with you and you might be surprised what you learn about that person.
- Improve Everything – Daily exercise has been called the “Miracle Drug” because it can help prevent pretty much every illness and disease out there. Something is simple as 15 minutes of walking each day can do wonders for you throughout life.
To learn more about how Henry Ford Village encourages a healthy, active lifestyle, call us today at 877-669-0728 or schedule a tour here.