The Wellness Nurse is responsible for ensuring the general well-being of residents through the delivery of high quality services.
The Wellness Nurse is responsible for providing and ensuring quality care and a “system of care” for residents in a manner and environment that promotes dignity and respect in recognition of each resident’s individuality
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Provides care management services to residents, monitors medication regimen and works with the pharmacy, physician and the physician to ensure the appropriate ordering and dispensing of medications.
- Assist with admission and orientation of new residents to the community, ensuring satisfactory integration into the community.
- Identifies safety hazards, and institutes corrective action in a timely manner. Shares in the responsibility for providing and maintaining an environment that is conducive to the safety, physical and emotional well-being of residents and staff.
- Maintains communication reflecting the health of residents, and reports in a timely manner any changes in the resident’s condition to his/her supervisor and the resident’s Power of Attorney.
- Investigates and documents resident and employee incidents and forwards the documentation to the Wellness Manager and the Assistant Administrator daily.
- Assists in the coordination of resident discharges and transfers.
- Observes and assist in direct resident care as needed.
- Supervises the Resident Associates by facilitating training, performance evaluations, coaching and motivating staff to ensure the provision of high quality services to residents in a manner that is consistent with the assisted living philosophy. Utilizes appropriate disciplinary measures as necessary; counsels and advises staff members.
- Coordinates orientation of new staff and assist the Staff Development Manager with in-service training for nurses.
- Promotes and facilitates interactive problem-solving with staff.
- Must respond to all calls assessing each situation as needed. Will notify the physician, staff and the resident’s Power of Attorney of health concerns as needed.
- Will act as a liaison between the staff and the resident’s Power of Attorney for the Wellness Manager and the Assistant Administrator.
- Ensures compliance with all regulations.
- Initiates and monitors quality improvement programs continuously.
- Maintains an environment that acknowledges and supports resident’s rights and individuality to make choices regarding their surroundings and care.
- Consistently demonstrates adherence and staff compliance with Infection Control policies and procedures in all aspects of care.
- Responsible for working with Dining Services staff to ensure that nutritional and therapeutic diets are served to residents.
- Responds to inquiries from guests.
- Initiate work orders and notifies his/her supervisor and the appropriate department of broken or malfunctioning equipment.
- Recommends improvements and offers suggestions as appropriate.
- Utilizes time in an efficient manner, completing duties in a timely fashion.
- Maintains skills and competencies utilized in work areas.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Attends in-service training and education sessions, as assigned.
- Maintain confidentiality of all pertinent resident care information to assure HIPAA policies are followed and resident rights are protected. Respects and maintains resident confidentiality. Follows all aspects of Code of Conduct and Corporate Compliance.
- Utilizes proper use of body mechanics and personal protective devices.
- Meets or exceeds internal and external customer service expectations and promotes the continuous improvement philosophy of the department and community.
- Uses equipment, services and supplies in a cost-effective manner.
- Demonstrates positive behaviors and display and encourage teamwork with all employees.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor’s Degree from a four-year college or university; or one to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Computer skills required including experience with Microsoft Office, the internet and web applications.
Must have supervisory and geriatric nursing experience and sensitivity to the interest of and understanding of the physical, mental, social, and spiritual characteristics of aging, while maintaining an appreciation of the residents’ skills and be capable of relating to a variety of people and personalities. Considerable initiative, judgment, and leadership skills are also required. Must have demonstrated ability to direct and manage the skill levels required. Responsible for thinking and functioning as an “in-charge” person.
Ability to effectively communicate with a variety of mediums including strong verbal, written and computer skills.
License, Certificates, Registration:
Must be a Registered Nurse or Licensed Practical Nurse graduate of an approved school of nursing and possess a current nursing license to practice in the State of Michigan
Must be able to move intermittently throughout the workday. Must possess sigh/hearing senses, or use prosthetics that will enable these senses to function adequately so that the requirement of this position can be fully met. Position requires the ability to perform complex tasks that require gross and fine motor skills. Must have the ability to lift up to 50 pounds and assist in moving residents. Demonstrate physical dexterity in moving, bending, stooping, and pulling. Able to withstand walking or standing for long periods of time. Must be in good general health and demonstrate emotional stability in order to cope with the mental and emotional stress of the position.
This job description is a general description of the duties and responsibilities of the position and is not to be interpreted as a complete list of the duties or requirements of this position.